This new front-end platform product at Expedia Group is still under wraps, so I can only share the abstract of my work, and the process I used.
To start, I worked closely with Sneha, the Sr. Product Manager, to understand our constraints and resources. I asked questions and gathered information to understand the following questions better. The answers guided our north star vision.
• Why create a new product?
• Who is the product for?
• What problems need to be solved?
• Who is the competition in this space?
• What is the cost of creating this product?
• What is the price of doing nothing?
Next, I needed to know what content this new product would contain. I worked with the team and explored documentation and resources to understand the following questions:
• What content exists?
• What content needs to be created?
• How will it be built?
• Who will make it?
• How will it be evaluated?
Once the general content was established, I used card sorting, team feedback, and market research to develop the primary taxonomy for tier 1 and 2 navigation.
Because this is a new product, I had some freedom to create new design patterns. I distilled what is essential from Expedia’s Brand guidelines, and incorporated it with new buttons, icons, layouts, and UI elements. The goal was to keep Expedia’s Brand’s integrity and core elements while adding fresh designs, from current research and trends in the UX design industry.
The team conducted user interviews to understand the following better:
• What are your pain points?
• What do you need?
• How have other companies solved these issues?
• What would you do or recommend as a solution?
The team worked to synthesized several different flavors of users. From this, over a dozen personas were created. Each one highlighted their needs, frustrations, and what our new product offered them. An associated task flow was created for each persona to demonstrate how the new product would complete their task with ease.
I synthesized the findings from our research, personas, and task flows into a clickable high-fidelity prototype. I used existing content and created new content to make a realistic representation of the users’ experience.
We combined a written script and a clickable prototype to create a concise video presentation for stakeholder meetings. This proved to be an effective way to communicate the vision, receive feedback, and iterate quickly.
For our final pitch to the senior vice president and vice president, I created two video presentations. The first was a highlight reel of user interviews capturing their current frustrations and challenges. The second was an explainer video demonstrating the prototype and crafting a vision of how the new product would add value and solve problems. I assembled screen captures, motion graphics, music, and narration using Adobe After Effects, Audition, Premiere, and XD.
The pitch was successful, the project was funded, and it is currently in development.